Monday, February 04, 2008

Fired up. . .and ready to blow?

The Quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little, and it will fail, to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while the Company is true. - Galadriel, The Fellowship of the Ring

Oy vey--I'm going slightly neurotic here, folks! For the past three weeks, it's been the same: I eat, sleep and breathe this primary election. I really can't keep a non-political, non-Obama, non-horse-race thought in my head anymore. Every poll showing ground being gained and every major endorsement makes my skin tingle with the intoxicating endorphins of glorious victory, while every poll showing voters moving in the opposite direction--and, luckily, these have been fewer of late--leave me convinced that the barbarian hoards are about to sack the city. Each morning the rollercoaster starts anew, and I can only hope that the peaks outnumber and outweigh the troughs (or, of course, I could just just get off the ride, but let's not be unreasonable!).

More and more, I find that my voracious craving for information cannot possibly be satiated. News is my life's blood, analysis the bread upon which I feast. I've read more political blogs in the the past week than I have in the rest of the last year, and, I'll bet, more than the vast majority of my readers have read in their lifetimes! In years past, I've occasionally considered myself to be something of a political junkie, but that's only because I didn't know what a true political junkie was. Even now, I only flirt along the edge of this debilitating pathology. No, the true junkies are the people who write the endless streams of blog post I read; compared to their twisted minds, I'm bordering on sanity!

Come Wednesday morning, my role as one of the Precinct Captains in California's 50th Congressional District will cease. This should be a relief, but it's not. The fact is that this primary will not be ending tomorrow--it is highly unlikely that Obama will either achieve a crushing victory or sustain a debilitating loss--and, sure, I won't be under any further obligation to canvass my neighbors, but there is still much more I can and should do to help the campaign in the many contest that will follow tomorrow's.

There will be much more news to watch, many more posts to read, and I will be there, reveling in this insane thing we call democracy in the 21st century, until the end. But if that long-hoped-for day of victory could just come a little sooner rather than later, my decimated nerves would be grateful. Oh well, that's politics.

Goodnight, and happy voting tomorrow!

No comments: