Saturday, February 02, 2008

From the annals of the pleasantly unexpected

I spent about four hours today canvassing a local San Diego neighborhood for the Obama campaign. Despite being very reluctant about the prospect of going door-to-door to talk politics with strangers, I had a really great time. I hitched a talride with a neighbor that I hadn't met until this morning, and he, a former salesman, provided much of the impetus and motivation that sustained me through my initial hesitation and nervousness. But by the end, I was perfectly comfortable walk to houses and talking to people on my own.

I talked with some annoyed and impatient people; I met excited Obama-supporters who were happy to see me; I walked briskly away from the yard of one crazy woman living in a home that appeared to belong in a third-world slum; I woke a few people up from sleeping; I met a woman who was--at least according to my records--a registered Democrat despite not being a citizen; I was told by one man that he was casting a vote for "The Kingdom of God," though he didn't specify which candidate the Kingdom supports; I learned that the people around me are far weirder and much more interesting than I could possibly have imagined.

I don't know what the coming political winds portend, but I do know that there are many thousands of people just like me across this state and this country who are working their collective ass off right now because, for the first time in many years we believe that, together, We The People can change this country for the better.

No comments: